Wednesday 26 February 2014

TRAVELLOGUE

The eagerness in me for the journey to Akwa Ibom woke me up fifteen minutes ahead of the alarm I set for myself. I was very conscious and didn’t forget to consult my daily manual (Open heavens), after which I had to rush to the bathroom and get myself ready for the journey.
Accompanied by my two friends, I got to the park around 5:30am. I discovered that there was no straight bus to my destination, I felt bad about that but I can’t just go to another park. Instantly, I decided to cut the journey as advised by the staff of the transport agency I met, who explained to me I will get a straight bus to my destination from Onitsha.
I was very angry with the secretary of the transport agency that booked me for the journey when I couldn’t go with the first bus which I was scheduled to go with. My anger faded off as people counseled me saying, “you don’t know why God doesn’t want you to go with that bus.”
I joined another bus and commenced the trip by 9:15am. While in the bus I discovered that the other passengers are bunch of various characters. They were all communicating in Igbo language which I don’t understand.
I wasn’t bothered about that anyway because I was so excited that I’m travelling outside the South West for the first time. Immediately I remembered that I have been to Delta State (Agbor precisely) courtesy of my uncle, my enthusiasm lowered a bit but I boosted it by acknowledging that at least I am traveling far beyond Delta State on my own.
I tried to stay awake in the bus so I can see various places and landmarks, but I couldn’t hold myself from the sleep which I had deprived myself off the previous night. Intermittently, I kept myself busy with my phone.
Everybody in the bus were minding themselves until we got to Benin by-pass, when I was told by the person next to me that a passenger bought bread and the driver zoomed off without allowing her to pay despite all her plea. We were all angry with the driver and called him all sorts of names. An agreement was reached that the lady should give the bread to the driver, so he can bear the curses made by the bread seller.
Few minutes after the incident, the driver parked at a mechanic workshop without telling the passengers anything. People shouted that, it’s a form of disregard for the passenger, as if he was dead, he didn’t say anything neither did he apologize.
The only thing that kept bothering me was that, I still have a long way to go. When the mechanic finished with the bus, the journey continued, those who were able to sleep slept, some sang and others were watching the changing scenes as the bus journeyed on.
When we got to Umunede, the driver parked at Joy canteen so people can eat but they refused and it was the driver alone that ate. Other passengers complained that the driver should have stopped for them in Ore, Ondo state, to eat instead of Umunede. At that point, everybody complained about the poor services of the transport company compared to the exhorbitant fee charged. I never knew it was expensive, I thought that’s the normal price. All the same, I felt unconcerned, as I was eager to get to Onitsha before embarking on the 2nd half of my journey.
After the journey continued, people started alighting in one and in twos, and we waved each other goodbye.
Since people were alighting, I told the person sitting next to me to notify me as soon as we get to Onitsha because I don’t know the place. He promised to do so and told me that Onitsha is just after the Niger Bridge.
Lo and behold, we got to the Niger Bridge. I couldn’t resist myself from looking left and right. I saw some iron structures on the two sides of the bridge raised high, and it occurred to me that this is not the Third Mainland Bridge. I saw boats on the river, some were far off and some near. I was actually on the look out for a ship, but I didn’t see any. The seaport was fine and lovely but I learnt its not functioning yet.
With what I’ve been told earlier, I had to arrange my books, phones and other stuffs properly in my bag and was ready to alight in Onitsha.
After alighting, I felt that mission-1 accomplished. I located AKTC park as I was told by my friend that I want to go and visit. When I got to the park around 3:10pm, I located the right bus but we didn’t leave until 4:59pm.
It took us a long time to leave the park because of the load that the driver was arranging. I must confess that the bus was overloaded, though we paid a fine for that on our way. I found this so annoying and was already tired. The excitement in me had dropped and was just being anxious to get to my destination.
It was getting late already so I couldn’t see many things or should I say I’m no longer interested. After Anambra state we plied through Imo state to Abia State. One thing that got my attention in Abia State was the beauty. I also saw women riding motorcycles in all these 3 states and I remembered that I have seen that in Agbor before, unlike in South West where it is rare to see women ride motorcycles.
Our journey was going on smoothly until we started paying fines for the overloaded bus. The collection points, let me not say checking points, from Onitsha to Uyo were over 20. We have passed over 10 points before I regretted not counting in the first instance, and I promised myself to do a proper counting when going back.
My ecstatic mood was fuelled when I discovered that I was closed to my destination. It was the state capital, Uyo, and I saw the beauty of that town was glowing in the night. I resolved not to come to the conclusion that the whole state is beautiful until I survey other parts of the State.
When I got to the park, I took a tricycle to Food Affairs, Ikot Ekpene road as described by my friend. On getting there, I saw Enobong waiting for me and she welcomed me with a hug into the Land of Promise. Sure, I am going to enjoy my vacation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment